Saturday, December 19, 2009

Pictures, Helicopters and Spit Roasts

Ok, an interesting name for for a blog, I agree, however that is what today was all about.

Firstly let me explain the pictures and helicopters section. There has been an ongoing task to take Arial  photographs of, well, pretty much all of the Vestfold Hill. The Vestfold Hills are the hills sounding Davis Station. The are an ice free section of Antarctica, however just behind them is the ice plateau, the 1200km piece of ice that stretches across the continent.

I was lucky enough to get to go on one of these flights, so I spent a few good hours up in a helicopter as people took photos. My job was to enter location information into a database, however I did get a few shots off.

 

 

 

 

Ok, now on to the spit roast. It was time for the chefs to have a break, so some of the boys cooked up a spit for dinner.

Now this is how you do a spit.

Firstly you use a skid steer loader to position a 20ft  container with opening doors for shelter. 

Bring on 45kg gas bottle (you don’t want to run out).

Grab a lamb, and some good chunks of beef. Chuck them on the spit and make sure there is plenty of beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment